Monday, April 12, 2010

Process

1. drawing, make sure to set your drawing with workable fixative so it does not smear and muddy your paint

2. under painting of darks, wait for paint to dry fully.

3. continue to build layers adding color gradually, working up from darkest to lightest. Be sure to let layers dry fully before applying paint on top of a preexisting layer.

4. Blend a layer of primary flesh tone (in this case it is white) soft handedly blending with a Sable brush.
I have been using water-based oils and truthfully they have been giving me some problems. Because they are water soluble, even after a layer fully dries, application of a new wet coat of paint picks up the under lying layer -- Ahhh! This has been causing a lot of extra work as you can imagine because I have to waste a lot of time doing patch-ups. I am torn though because water-based oil paints are so much better for the environment, and don't require all the stinky (and toxic) solvents. Another dilemma I have encountered is the water based paints just do not have to same glassy, rich finish of oils. I have found however adding a coat of varnish when the painting is finished solves this.

5. TO BE CONTINUED..... I will keep you posted as the painting comes along

No comments: