Monday, September 27, 2010

The Most Beautiful Drawing!


In:
"Old Saratoga Books"

I found:
etching of Charels Follen done by J.C.F.Gutsmuth in 1817

detail

Last Summer John and I were in a used and rare books-store in Saratoga, NY, called "Old Saratoga Books"

I loooove old bookstores, walking though one feels like meandering through the collective unconscious.

Sifting though hundreds of tattered pages, I came across this small etching which evoked what every artist spends his or her life in service to only perhaps achieve. What a complete and humbling drawing. I was so fully engrossed by it's beauty it drew me into total silence (rare) and vulnerability (not rare at all). It is magic to stop time and space, to reach directly into the affections of another. A remote collision of hearts.

This is both my conviction and proclamation of intent.

This is an etching of Charles Follen done by J.C.F.Gutsmuth from Turnbuch für die Söhne Vaterlandes (1817)

No comments: